FSC certified forests are managed with consideration for people, wildlife and the environment...
1. You can buy wood products, from all types of forest, with a clear conscience when you see the FSC logo.
2. The FSC label guarantees that the trees that are harvested are replaced or allowed to regenerate naturally.
3. Parts of the forest are protected entirely, in order to protect rare animals and plants.
4. FSC is the only wood certification scheme endorsed by the major environmental charities, including WWF, Greenpeace and The Woodland Trust.
5. FSC protects the rights of indigenous people to use the forest. If they have sacred sites in the forest these are exempt from felling.
6. FSC gives an assurance that future generations will be able to enjoy the benefits of the forest.
7. The forest owner must use local workers to run the forest, and provide training, safety equipment and a decent salary. The forest owner is often obliged to support the community in other ways, such as through the development of schools.
8. FSC is a market-based initiative which also ensures better conditions for the forest and the people whose livelihoods depend on it.
9. All the wood is tracked from the forest to the store. Every link between the forest and the consumer is certified to make it clearly identifiable which wood is FSC certified and which is not.
10. The FSC label is found on wood and paper products as well as non-timber forest products such as latex. You can find the FSC logo on floors, decking, paper, printed matter, charcoal, kitchen utensils, venison and many more products!
Originally published on: https://www.fsc-uk.org/10-good-reasons-to-choose-fsc.90.htm